Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New food and an old standby

Yesterday, my friend Amy put up a blog post about an El Salvadorian treat I'd never heard of called pupusas. After following her link to Martha Stewart's video tutorial, I decided to give it a go!

The base is so simple...corn flour and water!
The dough is rolled into balls and flattened into concave mini-tortillas. The little hollow is filled with cheese and then rolled and flattened again (I TRIED to get a pic of this...one handed pupusas making was just not working....)
Then the plumpy, cheese filled, goodness is grilled on a greased skillet ( I might have put a little too much olive oil on mine...they came out with a slightly crunchy fried finish...mmmmm)
And, Viola! Pupusas! The funniest part of this kitchen adventure is that I made these for breakfast at 9:00 this morning. =) I had grand plans of doing this for dinner tonight...but I COULDN'T WAIT!!!
MMMMMMMMMMM.....warm, gooey, pupusa love in my mouth! I think I might have to make this an everyday treat!
Speaking of everyday treats, remember when I used to let Ezra finger paint ALL the time? We've sort of fallen out of that habit. My sister and I have been organizing a summer curriculum for our kids and I realized yesterday that I might be planning art projects that are too advanced for our toddlers. I decided to whip out the old paints and see how Ezra's skills had progressed....
Lets just say that the tactile experience was so much more of an adventure for him this time!
He was ALL about the squishy fingers and sloppy table.
He even decided to see how the paint felt on other parts of his body (including his hair!)
Once he got down to the business of actually painting though, it was fun to see him be so much more engaged. Seven months ago he lazily spread things around and looked up at me often with that " this is fun, butWHY are we doing this?" face....this time he was slapping, scraping, smooshing, wiping, banging, and contemplating. It was so funny!He definitely required a bath after this activity (which ended up being a bit of an adventure too) but anything that makes my baby smile this big is worth whatever clean up is required after!
I was surprised that Ezra wanted to be in charge of squeezing the paints onto the paper. I think he might be ready for most of the art projects we've planned. Get ready for a summer of silly creations. =)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you made them. Even better and easier than quesadillas, huh? I laughed at the idea of trying to make them one handed to get a picture lol. Congrats! They look great! I forgot to mention this, but they taste even better as leftovers when you reheat them in the microwave... I don't know why lol.

Davey n' Krit said...

That is so cute! I can't wait to be able to start doing fun projects like that with Parker.
What happend to you on facebook?

Jen said...

Thanks girls! Kristy, I needed a break from the Facebook drama. It was consuming my life. =) I can't believe how big Parker is getting! I need to see him soon or he wont be a baby anymore. =)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com