This week,I figured that since we'd be visiting the state that houses two of the nations "top 10 dinosaur museums" (and there is not ONE dinosaur exhibit in the bay area for us to visit) we should probably do all of our learning about the "terrible lizards" while we had the chance to see them up close. =)
We started things off with a fun book about dinosaurs having a dance party.

Ezra
immediately got to work creating a dinosaur dance scene with stickers, crayons and markers.

I drew the trees, grass, and sun to help him orient his stickers...he did a pretty good job keeping them all "right side up". He decided to give this picture to his Grandma
Maridawn. She loved it!

After learning all about plated dinosaurs (from a REALLY retro book we found in the boxes in my parents garage!) We whipped out the paint..

crayons....markers...

and of course, googly eyes (one of Ezra's favorite words)...

to create this clothes pin Stegosaurus! Ezra dragged it around the house for a bit. He really liked how he could pull the clothes pins off and pinch them back on.

The next day we read a story about silly
dinosaurs at school. He really liked the BIG
Diplodocus!

It was Pop
Pop's day off, so the two of them set to work
watercoloring a background. This was Ezra's first time with paints in a
palette and he did pretty well...although I think it was the concept of dipping his brush on the little pats of paint that he loved the most ("dip, dip, dip")

Once the background was dry I drew a dinosaur outline and laid down a thick layer of glue. We
smooshed cheerios onto the gooey goodness (not the goldfish that Ezra was snacking on)

and got this funky
Diplodocus skeleton.

For our last craft, we went up to visit Aunt Lisa and the cousins! The boys were snoozing away so Sophia, Aunt Lisa, Ezra and I read dinosaur books and then created tissue paper dinosaur sun-catchers together..it was so much fun!


Ezra and I created the tiny top one and Sophie made the giant "mamasaurus" all by herself.

Our field trip this week was an adventure with our friends the
Obermarks. We all piled into their car and headed up to the Thanksgiving Point dinosaur museum.

James was a GREAT guide!

He explained the fossils...

exhibits....

and displays so well. He's a natural docent. =)

I was amazed at how many skeletons this museum has. I've been here before, but I don't think I ever really paid that much attention. =)

They have HUGE skeletons that fill entire rooms...

and TWO T-Rex fossils. How cool is that?

After a bit, we stopped to let the kids play and eat their snacks.

I love hanging out with Krissy! She is seriously one of the most incredible people I know!

After the break, we went back to more dinosaur viewing...

and a bit more playing.

At the end of the exhibits there is a hands-on sand play area where the kids can brush out fossils. What fun!

Look at how beautiful baby May is! Man I love those eyes...too bad my camera can't do them justice!

To end our play day of fun we stopped at Hires and ate delicious grilled cheese
sandwiches with
rootbeer. YUM! I love how dazed Ezra looks in this picture.

Hello cute girls!

What a fun day...and what a fun week! Thanks for playing with us everyone! You made our dinosaur week
dino-mite! HA HA!

Our books this week were: Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp, T is for Terrible, How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon, How Do Dinosaurs Go To School, Dinosaur Woods, Bones Bones Bones,
Dinosailors, and
Dinotrain. Thanks for letting us use your library card Dad! =)
2 comments:
Mmmmm Hires! (:
You had so much fun! Kristy is such a good friend and her kids are cute, cute, cute. Looks like Sophia and Lisa had a ball with your art project. Miss you, hope life is being sunny sweetheart.
Mom XOXOOO
Post a Comment