Inspired by my crafty friends in the ward, I decided to brave making a flannel board for Ezra's room. He has a huge blank space on the wall beside his bed and I have a feeling that a mounted flannel board is exactly what that space needs to inspire him to play and have silly story times with Mommy. =)
After doing some research
online I armed myself with Joann's coupons and headed out for supplies. I got a foam core board for $2.50 and a yard of blue felt (I figured sky blue would be the perfect background for making a felt "scene" on) for $2.20. While searching the aisles for supplies, I stumbled upon the iron-on
appliques (which were 25% off). The little gears in my mind started turning....and this is what I came up with.
If I iron an applique....

on to felt...

following the directions on the package (about 15 seconds each side)...

then cut as close to the applique as possible...

I could create some pretty fun flannel board creatures!

Didn't they turn out so cute? There's a dump truck too but Ezra found it and carried it off to bed with him!

The board was just as easy to make. I trimmed the yard of fabric around my foam core...

then headed to the roof to spray the backside of the flannel with spray mount (p.s. notice the corner blowing up???
GAH! Spray mounting fabric on a windy roof...NOT an easy thing to do!)

I laid the board in the center of the gluey fabric and pulled the edges up tight....

then I snipped off the little
flappy fabric hangovers to get a nice diagonal line.

To keep the flannel EXTRA secure I used packing tape to hold it down FOR GOOD!

TA
DAH!!!
Talin's going to mount it on the wall next to Ezra's bed when he gets home.

I have so many grand plans for pieces to go on the board. I hope it makes for hours of fun. =)
1 comments:
That looks like a fantastic play thing! I'm inspired, too!
Post a Comment