Friday, April 9, 2010

Ezra's Garden

Every afternoon I try to have an activity planned so that things don't dissolve into tantrums in the hours before Talin gets home. Sometimes we do an art project, sometimes we visit a park, today...we planted a garden!

Ezra got a Sesame Street gardening kit in his Easter package from Grandma and Grandpa Wadsworth. It had EVERYTHING we needed!
We stopped by our local OSH in the morning and talked to their "container garden specialist". She suggested that along with the peppers that had come with the kit, we should try basil, lettuce, and a special type of cucumber that would grow in a pot. Cool!
The first thing we did was prepare the soil. The kit came with dirt pellets that expanded in water...
with a little stirring, our pot soon filled with fresh soil, ready for planting. I wish you could see the smile on Ezra's face..he LOVED this part!
Then we scooped soil into each of the six tiny "starter pots".
We opened the seeds and decided which plants should go into which pot....Ezra made sure to carefully space each seed. =)
When they were all planted safely in their pots, we lined them up in our window box tray...
and placed them in their new home.
Then we made plant markers to remind us which seeds we'd planted in which cup. I hate that this picture is so dark! Ezra did a great job putting stickers on each little stake!
Even though we tried our best, we still ended up with dirt on our clothes, hands....and one of our faces, HA! How did that happen?
I can't wait until we have acres and acres of land to plant on.....or so I wish! But, I have a feeling that when we DO finally get at least a little land to plant a garden on, Ezra will be a great farmer. Tal promised chickens and goats too...I wonder how Ezra will feel about milking the goats. =)

1 comments:

thomas family said...

So cute. Riley loves digging in the dirt with me.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com