When we got to church, we walked into a completely dark chapel (the lights had been out since everyone first arrived but we all decided to stay and have sacrament meeting) We were led to an empty seat by flashlight, we sang songs that our pianist could see only by the headlamp she just happened to have in her car, and the sacrament prayers were given LOUD AND CLEAR. Then, by the light of whatever camping lamps, flashlights, cell phones and emergency lights, people had in their cars, we listened to a beautiful farewell talk, and two amazing testimonies. I can't really describe what it was like to sit in that dark chapel trying to make out our ward family members by the shape of their hairdos, the size of their shoulders, or the number of kids climbing around them. I can't describe how fun it was to listen to a speaker whose face was lit by a coleman electric lantern resting on a stack of piled hymnals next to the podium.
I felt like a little girl in a blanket fort, or a Mia Maid at girls camp snuggled in my tent and listening to my friends chatter in the shadows on the nylon walls. I thought about how meetings must have been for the early members of the church, no microphones, no electric lights (although I'm sure they had windows to let in the daylight!) It was amazing!
I felt like a little girl in a blanket fort, or a Mia Maid at girls camp snuggled in my tent and listening to my friends chatter in the shadows on the nylon walls. I thought about how meetings must have been for the early members of the church, no microphones, no electric lights (although I'm sure they had windows to let in the daylight!) It was amazing! Ezra of course had a blast. He ran around holding his little wooden banana and giggling. Luckily we were right next to the door. He would jump down from my lap, take a turn around the foyer (with Talin right on his heels) toddle back in to lean his little head up and give me a kiss, then stumble back out into the light. He was so silly!
After the closing prayer we all stood up, said our goodbyes and then walked out into a beautiful sunny day! It was definitely a meeting I'll remember for a long time!
Later, after a gorgeous walk along the bay with the Chipman family, I decided to be a little domestic and make sugar cookies. I was so excited to use my "new" mixer and put on a frilly apron. After concocting what looked like perfect cookie dough (ok...i'll admit it...I ate some too...sorry mom) I got ready to plop them onto the cookies sheet.......and then I remembered........our cookie sheet has been destroyed. I lay most of the blame on Talin, but the truth is that both of us have misused our little aluminum friend. After having who-knows-what baked who-knows-how-many-times on it.....it has developed a thick, greasy, black, coating that no amount of scrubbing (trust me, two Brillo pads and 1 scrub brush were destroyed in the attempt) can get off (I was going to include a picture, but decided it's just TOO disgusting!). Usually, I just cover the sheet with foil....and it's fine. NOT TODAY...NO FOIL.....so....Talin suggested that I put a little ball of cookie dough into each of the cups of our muffin pan.
Good idea! They'll form perfectly shaped little cookies.....welll...sort of.
Good idea! They'll form perfectly shaped little cookies.....welll...sort of. And so ladies and gentlemen...I give you the cupcookie.
Soft, chewy, drizzled in frosting....hmmmm...it'll probably never be a big seller, they just don't have that "cookieness" to them, you know? AHHHHH WEEEEELLLLLL
We had a fun day of memories! =)

2 comments:
Wasn't that an amazing Sacrament meeting?! I had to laugh about your cookies - that is something that would TOTALLY happen in our house. Looks like they turned out great, though!
I love your blog Jenny penny, I almost felt like I was there eating the cupcookies. I miss you so much I wish I could give you a hug right now. Night night have a wonderful day tomorrow, I'm glad you tooth is better (sort of). Call me. I have cello lesson at lunch tomorrow but I'll try to skype for a minuet or two in the morning. Kiss Talin and Ezra for me.
MomXOXOXO
Post a Comment