When we moved last month I began a frantic search for a new preschool for Ezra.
To be honest, I was never really that impressed with what we had on the peninsula and I prepared myself to find even less in Castro Valley.
(poor Ezra, stuck with such a picky teacher mom!)
Then, it happened, I found the most GLORIOUS preschool, set high on a hill....with the perfect blend of academics and playtime.
It was PERFECT!!
Except...then I found out that the local elementary schools run a transitional kindergarten
(basically free preschool)
and that Ezra missed the deadline by 10 days.....TEN DAYS!!
Thus began an epic battle between the school district and Talin and I....SIGH.
In the end, it came down to our integrity as parents, and transitional kindergarten.
We chose integrity.
Are you proud?
HA!
Luckily, the amazing preschool still had room, and before we knew it, Ezra's 2013 pre-k year was starting!
The night before the big event we went school shopping for new school clothes, a new backpack/water bottle, and shoes.
(So many fun memories of shopping for each new school year with my mom came flooding back to me!)
Ezra was DETERMINED to get light up shoes
(BLEH, I would like to find the designer who came up with the idea of flashing laser light up shoes and give him/her a piece of my mind)
At the end of our little spree, we stopped for dinner at the Red Tractor Cafe, and sat outside, picnic style, enjoying the last rays of summer sun.
Junie even woke up to join in the conversation!
The next morning we frantically ran around trying to get the kids fed
(waffles for the big one)
and out the door.
I have no idea how I ever would have made it on time without Talin home to help!
As we pulled into the big parking lot Ezra quietly said, "I'm feeling nervous Mom".
My stomach did a little flip flop for him.
Despite his big words, huge ideas, and mature little attitude, I sometimes forget just how small my "tiny adult" actually is.
We said a quiet prayer together in the car and then hand in hand headed off to meet his teacher.
With each step he seemed to grow a little more confident...
...and by the time we made it to his classroom he was ready to kiss me goodbye and head for the playground with only a tiny backwards wave.
When I picked him up that afternoon he was full of stories and songs, and couldn't wait to go back again!
Hooray for a new beginning!
Now wish me luck that I can get him to school on time once Talin heads back to work.
=)






0 comments:
Post a Comment