Early this morning I woke up to a chilled little body crawling his way across Daddy to nestle into the warm spot between our bodies.
With stuffed animals in tow he hunkered down and sighed....a huge, deep, peaceful sigh. My first instinct of course was to poke Talin
(who hadn't seemed to notice that he'd been scaled )
and remind him that it was "his night"
(we switch off every two nights)
to get up, scoop our sleeping son into his arms, and settle him back down into the big kid bed.
But, something so amazing filled my body....I decided instead to just lay there feeling his gentle breath on my cheek and bury my nose in his shampoo-sweet hair.
Eventually, Daddy carried him back to bed and surrounded him with his favorite fluffy blanket
(remember the cows over the moon, Mom?)
and I sort of forgot about my little moment of heaven.
Bu,t as I scanned some of my favorite blogs this afternoon I came across another Mom blogger who wrote about her own little night time visitor so perfectly, I had to re-post it so I can read it over and over.
"Here was the point of no return. A temporary place in the human existence tucked in between mother and father and away from worries. I wanted to tell my son's spirit to remember this moment, a safe spot anxiety-free. This is where we want to be when our hearts our broken, our dreams are slashed and reality settles in. To return to the luxury life of mornings enfolded in your parents arms and safety blankets when college exams beat at your will, taxes come due with no way to pay and the roof of your new little house begins to leak.These rapture-less moments are nothing like this.
Isn't heaven a replica of morning's burrowed between two relaxed parents?
And then my spirit says to me the same.
Remember this moment, a safe spot anxiety-free. It is the point you will want to return to when he gets too busy for you. Cursed with the speed of time, his mornings will soon be filled with the beeping of waking alarms and swift breakfasts on his way out into a world you can't share. This is where you will want to return when he's tiptoeing past a curfew or moving out to save souls or heaven forbid, falling in love with another woman. There is a finite time, the spirit says, when you occupy so much of his consciousness. This moment is for you.
And I decide: this is heaven." (Cjanerun)
Isn't heaven a replica of morning's burrowed between two relaxed parents?
And then my spirit says to me the same.
Remember this moment, a safe spot anxiety-free. It is the point you will want to return to when he gets too busy for you. Cursed with the speed of time, his mornings will soon be filled with the beeping of waking alarms and swift breakfasts on his way out into a world you can't share. This is where you will want to return when he's tiptoeing past a curfew or moving out to save souls or heaven forbid, falling in love with another woman. There is a finite time, the spirit says, when you occupy so much of his consciousness. This moment is for you.
And I decide: this is heaven." (Cjanerun)
Isn't that beautiful?
I want to remember to recognize these moments NOW, and seep myself in the contentment of knowing that these are MY moments with him before he joins the world...that as quickly as they have come they will one day be gone.
Please let me remember that wispy hair and those sweet little lips pressed up against my face on the pillow, forever.
That is all. =)
P.S. Happy happy birthday my beautiful little sister!
30 freaking ROCKS!!!! You're going to love it. =)


3 comments:
Sniff sniff....She couldn't have said better what i think all moms feel at times! Loved it! Those sweet sleepy heads are going to grow up and think they don't need us...scares me every day! All we have is now, I often wonder why time cant slow down so i can Make sure I passed on all my knowledge before they grow up! I LOVE to watch my kids all warm and safe in their beds. I always take the time to kiss them and tell them i love them, A good time for Spirits to be listening!
Dude, I don't want to start my day crying! Watch out, James, Momma's gonna be a clinger today!
That was beautiful - thanks Jen. Ezra is so blessed to have such wonderful, loving parents.
Post a Comment