When asked about what kind of man to marry there are many traits that swirl through a girl's mind...
...he needs to be smart....
...he needs to be kind...
...he needs to like children (and want them!)...
...he needs ambition and drive.....
...and then of course....
...he needs to be good looking and strong.
But, there is one trait that is almost never brought up
(in fact I'm sure most swooning teenagers would laugh at me when I told them about this little gem that I've discovered)
He needs to be HANDY!
For 4 years our living room has been lit only by strategically placed lamps, don't get me wrong, I love lamp light, but, when it comes time to sit down and work (aka: sew) those softly glowing accents are crap!
I might as well be sewing by candlelight.
Recently my Etsy shop received a huge order
(12 bears!!! and a giraffe...)
and as I sat working the other night bemoaning my fate and possibly the loss of my vision Talin suddenly declared,
"lets go get a light"
Ok, this is where the story gets even better.
We've had an exposed light socket hanging out of our ceiling for 4 years.
HA HA HA!
We've planned, searched, and started to save for a delicous (but ridiculously) expensive drum light.
On this particular night, however, I realized....DUH, lets just get a nice fixture now and then put the drum light in later.
Again....DUH!!
Oh well.
After picking out a simple fixture we could both agree on
(why do they still make flush mount shades that look like a giant boob??)
we walked toward the checkout stand.
I watched Talin looking at the new box and casually asked,
"Are you sure you can put this thing up."
He looked at me with the funniest look on his face....
....like I was asking a fourth grader if they can recite the alphabet.
...well ok then...
As we passed near the switches I commented on how much I would love to have a dimmer and he casually tossed one into the basket.
I looked at him again, wondering if this was a feasible project but he didn't bat an eyelash.

Ladies and gentlemen in about an hour I not only had a new fixture shining down glorious light onto my pattern pieces, but I was also given a perfectly functioning dimmer switch!

(granted installing the switch needed a little long distance help from our resident electrician, Grandpa Chris....1950's wiring...combined with i-pad Skype supervision...it was a pretty crazy clash of technology going on in the house.)

Ezra, of course, is completely impressed with the awesomeness that is his handy father.
He flicks the switch on in broad daylight and declares,
"look what Daddy did!".
Ha ha ha!
He never hesitates to tell Talin how proud he is of him too.

I'm telling you, there really is not much sexier then a husband who can create a better home for his family! =)

0 comments:
Post a Comment